Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Slammin' Skillet Black Beans

INGREDIENTS:

2 C cooked black beans (or 2 cans)
Two peppers, diced (one red and one green if ya like, for color)
1 Med. onion, diced
1 Small can diced tomatoes & their juice (Or salsa..)
1 diced chipotle pepper in adobo sauce, plus a spoonful of the sauce**
Optional: 1/2 c. corn
**If you can't find chipotle peppers in adobo, just get a can of Ro-Tel Tomatoes with chilis and use those. Be aware that for lightweights ONE chipotle pepper chopped fine is plenty for this recipe but if you want to use a couple, more power to ya.
1 TBSP Chili powder
1 Tsp. cumin
Splash of lime juice (Rose's is okay if you have a big bottle of that because you are a drinker like me. Not that I'm a 'drinker'...not like that. Oh, never mind.)

INSTRUCTIONS:

First: Prepare any kind of rice you like...I put mine in the steamer & then got to work on the beans.
Saute onion until nearly translucent and add peppers, saute until they are soft and smell nice. (I used butter, you can use what you like). Stir in beans, corn, spices, tomatoes, and chipotle peppers and simmer until everything is heated through. Add splash of lime. (I didn't have fresh limes so I used a little Rose's. I don't think it matters; just gives it a little sweetness and zip.)
Serve over rice. I would have added a dollop of sour cream and some cheese but I was 'making do' and it was just as good without it.
Could also be used as a burrito/taco/whatever filling. Could also be used as a rather muscular salsa/nacho topping.

This recipe was submitted by Kimberly of Dispatches from the Northern Outpost.

0 comments: